Monday, August 29, 2016

Take Me Back

My family takes a yearly vacation, this year we decided Yellowstone & Jackson Hole were our destinations. Only a few hours away and we entered a different world. Yellowstone is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. Though, this wasn't my first time there, it was the first time I could truly appreciate, and photograph, its beauty. However I didn't get to indulge myself as much as I would have liked so a return trip is already in mind.
Through Idaho, the corner of Montana and into the west entrance we followed the Madison River past geysers, elk filled plains and rocky cliff sides until we came to the Old Faithful park. We grabbed an ice cream cone, perused the shops and watched the videos they show in their small theater while waiting for the well timed geyser. After the eruption, and much to my dismay, we began the three hour drive out of Yellowstone to Jackson, Wyoming. The ride down did somewhat appease me as it was filled with great views of many lakes, a waterfall, and the Grand Tetons. 
I was teasing my parents, telling them they lied when they said there were buffalo everywhere, as that was the only large animal (that Yellowstone is famous for) that we hadn't seen. We ran into a traffic jam not far from Jackson, but not like any I was used to. A (very) large heard of bison roamed around and on the highway, causing drivers to slow and sometimes stop as they maneuvered away from them. 
Finally we reached Jackson. All of us hungry, my dad, very excitedly, suggested we eat at the Gun Barrel which he had enjoyed every time he was in Jackson. I understood why as soon as I took a bite of the elk medallions I had ordered. It was delicious. Dad ordered the bison steak, which I almost stole after he let me try it, and my sister and mom both got regular beef steaks. All of our meals were amazing and well worth the price. 
After a day of wandering Jackson, visiting the many shops, and getting a sugar overload, we were exhausted. We packed up the next day and headed all the way back home. (Of course, we stopped for ice cream not long after leaving.) Six hours of driving later we were home, we were tired, and our dogs were excited to us. 

This is a trip I will definitely be making again, hopefully very soon. Yellowstone is a place you need to spend at least a few days in to get the most out of your experience. There is so much to see and so much to do, a few hours, even a day, wouldn't be enough for me. This time though, I think I'll plan ahead on my own and hopefully find better lodging than hotel 6- even if that means a tent, or bed of a truck.








No comments:

Post a Comment